And my personal Mt. Everest just got a bit taller.
Here are (in chronological order) the 25 films selected for the National Film Registry in 2017. Films noted with an asterisk are films that I submitted on my nomination ballot.
- Interior New York Subway, 14th Street to 42nd Street (1905)
- The Sinking of the Lusitania (1918)
- Fuentes Family Home Movies Collection (1920s-1930s)
- He Who Gets Slapped (1924)
- With the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in Spain (1937-1938)
- Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
- Dumbo (1941)
- Gentleman’s Agreement (1947)
- Ace in the Hole (1951)
- Spartacus (1960)*
- Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (1967)*
- Wanda (1971)
- Lives of Performers (1972)
- Time and Dreams (1976)
- Superman (1978)
- Boulevard Nights (1979)
- The Goonies (1985)
- La Bamba (1987)
- Die Hard (1988)*
- Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser (1988)
- Field of Dreams (1989)
- To Sleep with Anger (1990)
- 4 Little Girls (1997)
- Titanic (1997)*
- Memento (2000)
These 25 films have been added to my official rotation, the first write-up will appear on this blog in February 2018.
In addition, the Library of Congress’ YouTube channel has added a selection of films from the Registry. Check it out, I know I will.